Job Title: Legal Assistant – Transactions
Position Type: Full-Time
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for a Legal Assistant to join our team in our Anchorage office.
Legal assistants provide and coordinate administrative, clerical, and legal support to attorneys in the business transaction and real property practices, supporting effective use of their time. This position requires an ability to work independently as well as in a team environment with timekeepers and staff members. Prior transactional experience strongly preferred.
This is a hybrid position, offering the flexibility to work remotely up to two days a week.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
- Become a trusted resource to your assigned timekeepers, and understand their practice and clients
- Act as intermediary with clients and responds to client requests; Extensive interaction with clients is expected
- Manage client billing process, including review and editing of pre-bills
- Maintain up-to-date forms, including collaboration with other departments on templates
- Check in regularly with attorney to ensure all aspects of any project are under control. Prompt as needed. Exercise careful judgment about when to ask for guidance
- Assign appropriate tasks to other departments and support staff. Follow up on status of all projects to ensure timely completion
- Communicate clearly with all appropriate team members on project status
- Set up data rooms for transactions; provide required information to Information Technology (IT) for initial set up, organize data room structure, populate data room with required documents, communicate access information to data room participants, update and maintain data room, maintain due diligence/document production checklist in connection with data room documents
- Identify and organize documents for closings of complex financing or acquisition transactions, prepare initial checklists, research possible forms of documents, manage formatting for uniformity across all documents
- Assist with transaction closings; monitor and update checklists, organize documents and signature packets for execution, monitor status of documentation and organize final executed documents as received, review documents for completeness, maintain electronic record of final executed documents, organize documents for closing transcripts, produce and transmit closing transcripts, distribute stock certificates
- Ensure that relevant documents are filed in the client’s minute book records and that equity ownership information is properly maintained
- Docket reminders for annual corporate filings (e.g., stock plan registration)
- Type, proofread, run comparisons, and edit correspondence, memoranda, agreements and other legal and business documents from notes, templates, drafts, or dictated text under time sensitive deadlines
- Maintain attorney and client records. Maintain email and electronic records
- Open new client and new matter files
- Schedule and coordinate appointments, meetings and conference calls and maintain calendars
- Answer, screen, and respond to phone calls
- Prepare and submit expense reimbursement reports and check requests
- Make travel arrangements
- Schedule conference rooms and arrange for food service and audio-visual equipment as needed
- Assist fellow assistants and additional attorneys as needed
- Notarize documents. Position may require secretary to become and maintain Alaska Notary
- Current experience with transactions, mergers and acquisitions, or real estate practices strongly preferred
- High degree of attention to detail and organizational skills
- Fluency in English, including excellent spelling, grammar, and proofreading skills
- Ability to prioritize assignments and tasks on a constant and fast-paced basis, keeping all parties informed, required
- High level of initiative, including understanding and following work instructions with minimal supervision, required
- Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills, as well as the ability to handle stressful situations in a calm, composed manner; team-oriented mindset
- Strong skills in word processing and computer use: proficiency in MS Office Products (Word, , Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) and Kofax PDF or similar software required; ability to perform internet research, including deftly navigating the Alaska Division of Corporations and Alaska Department of Natural Resources websites
- Knowledge of legal time keeping programs and NetDocs a plus
- Ability and willingness to learn new programs and program updates
- Ability to read and understand court rules, including rules for courts you have not worked with before, and compliance with assigned judge’s Individual Rules and Practices a plus
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with internal, client, and government contacts
- Ability to partner with staff in other offices
- Availability and willingness to work overtime as needed or requested
- Associates Degree or higher preferred
About Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with 11 offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
- Choice of health and vision insurance plans
- 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
- Dental plan
- Fertility and adoption benefit
- Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
- Tuition reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Retirement contribution
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP embraces diversity, equity and inclusion. It brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are part of the fabric of Davis Wright Tremaine—central to who we are and what we do. Our vision is to foster a culture where all talented individuals—including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the legal profession—can have, and can see, a path to success. In order to support this vision, we request that you voluntarily provide the following demographic data. All self-reported demographic information is stored securely in a manner that is compliant with DWT’s privacy and security policies and is only accessible by authorized members of the Talent Acquisition and HR Departments; it is not shared with any of the hiring decision-makers.
Davis Wright Tremaine provides reasonable accommodations for those who need them to complete the application or recruiting process and for employees who need reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their positions due to a disability or for religious reasons. If you need to request accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.