The Douglas Jacobson Scholarship
We were deeply saddened to learn of the passing of our good friend, mentor and Immediate Past Board Chair, Doug Jacobson, on February 26th. His loss will be felt by many for a long time to come.
In tribute to Doug and in consultation with his family, NACM Business Credit Services has created the Jacobson Scholars program.
The lack of engagement in the subject of credit and collections by business schools at America’s colleges and universities has long been viewed as a detriment to the credit profession. There are few if any institutions that include the subject of credit, collections, or risk management within their academic programs.
In early 2020, the NACM Business Credit Services Board of Directors – under the leadership of Doug Jacobson – voted unanimously to introduce a new scholarship/internship program for upper class students attending a four-year college or university. The intent is to invest in the next generation of our workforce by (a) awarding a scholarship to assist a student with meeting their tuition obligations and (b) helping the recipients arrange a paid internship at a NACM member company. Multiple companies have already signed on to accept an intern when the initial awards are made in Fall 2021.
The goal of the program is to expose a junior or senior to the credit profession, possibly pave the way to their first job out of college, and give them an experience in credit that leave them with an excellent foundation to serve them throughout their business career. These students will become known as Jacobson Scholars.
The program will be funded through the Douglas Jacobson Scholarship, a fund created and managed by the Business Credit Foundation. The Foundation is a 501(c) tax exempt charitable organization established by NACM Business Credit Services to manage its scholarship funding contributed over many years.
You can be part of the Jacobson Scholarship in four ways:
1. You and/or your company may contribute a gift of any amount to the Business Credit Foundation in the name of the Doug Jacobson and the Scholarship. If you work for a company with a Matching Gift Program, please include the appropriate form for us to complete.
2. Gifts may be made in the form of cash, check or credit/debit card. Other forms of support may be considered, and donors are encouraged to contact the Foundation for more information.
Checks should be made out: Business Credit Foundation. Note in the memo line that your gift is designated to the Jacobson Fund. Checks can be mailed to the address below.
When giving by credit/debit card, click on the following link, complete the form and submit. Your card statement may indicate a charge from “NACM Business Credit Services” in conjunction with this donation. Credit cards will be surcharged 2.5%; Debit cards will not be charged. Click here to give by Credit/Debit Card or ACH/Checking Account.
3. Your company can participate by agreeing to welcome a paid intern into its Credit and Collections Department. This will typically be for a single academic term for a junior or senior student attending an accredited institution near your business. The internship can be extended if the company and student agree to do so.
4. If you have a close relationship with the Business School at a particular college or university (perhaps your alma mater), you can introduce us to the institution so that we can build a relationship with our program.
5. Tell others in our profession about the Jacobson Scholarships and encourage them to participate.
To make a contribution or for more information
Business Credit Foundation
P.O. Box 3665
Seattle, WA 98124